The LIGHT Awards Program supports teachers by making grants for teacher-selected professional development. Grant award details include:
- The LIGHT Awards makes grants of $20,000 or $30,000 over two years.
- Grants are made in payments of $10,000 or $20,000 in the first year, and $10,000 in the second.
- The grant award must be expended during the two-year grant period.
- Grants are announced and distributed annually in the late winter to allow for summer planning or attendance at summer training experiences.
- Grant implementation must start by the beginning of the next school year after which the grant is received.
The following are requirements of LIGHT Awards grantees:
- Participation in an annual gathering of awardees.
- Participation in an alumni network.
- Submission of annual narrative and financial reporting on project progress, learnings, challenges and expenditures.
- Production of a shareable final product at the end of the project.