LIGHT: Leveraging Innovation by Growing and Honoring Teachers
We Attract and Keep Great People in Teaching.
The LIGHT Awards are a program of the Intrepid Philanthropy Foundation, a private family foundation. We believe that highly effective, engaged teachers are the most important factor in a student’s academic experience and success. We seek to honor and invest in educators and school leaders.
Karen Leshner, founder of the Intrepid Philanthropy Foundation, explains the program this way:
- WE BELIEVE that teachers are the most valuable members of the American workforce. We want to make sure that great people go into the career of teaching and stay in the career;
- WE BELIEVE that highly effective, engaged teachers are the most important factor in a student’s academic experience and success;
- WE BELIEVE that teachers are in a unique position to know what type of professional learning will be most meaningful for their classrooms, students, and schools;
- WE BELIEVE that
cohortsof teachers learning together can more quickly and effectively instigate sustainable change within their classrooms, schools, anddistricts than individual teachers;
- WE BELIEVE that teachers will gain more from professional learning opportunities if they can choose to participate in those experiences about which they are excited; and,
- WE BELIEVE there is tremendous leverage in education. Over their career, one outstanding teacher can impact hundreds of students.
Find out more: